Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One Man's Trash is JUST Trash


As I mentioned before, I hate sending stuff to the dump unless I absolutely have to. Case in point. We have an old sofa we'd like to get rid of. There's a guy in our neighborhood that drives by on trash day going through looking for the good junk to take. We put the sofa out for him and he didn't want it. So, I decided to give it to the local transitional housing nonprofit. I've been calling different numbers for over a week, leaving my phone number, but no one returned my call. I was going to be in the area yesterday, so I drove by specifically to see if they can use it. Yes, they can. But, she wouldn’t give me a number to call. They have to call me. A man phoned, said he was coming today to get the sofa and then called to say he’d come get it tomorrow. I hope he comes to get it. I spend a lot of time to get rid of this couch. I don’t want to put in the dump, but I don’t have the time to research and work this hard to get rid of the things I don’t want.

Now, I’m faced with a new challenge. My father had the complete set of Horizon Magazines, a wonderfully bound set that dealt with culture, history, arts, etc. I’d love to give them to the local jail or school, but I have no idea who to contact. I called a local used bookstore to see if they wanted them. He said there wasn’t a market for them. Are there schools that could use them? Maybe. The problem is I once again don’t have the time to find a new home for them.

No comments: